Maple Flax Seed BagelsFrom jo_jo_ba 4 years ago
- 1 1/4 cups warm water, divided shopping list
- 1 pkg active dry yeast shopping list
- 3 tbsp brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tbsp maple extract shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 1 cup whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1 cup high-fibre hot cereal (I used Bob's Red Mill) shopping list
- 1 tbsp gluten flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- flax seeds for topping (about 2 tbsp total) shopping list
How to make it
- Combine 1/2 cup warm water, yeast and sugar in a deep bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Let stand 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Stir in maple extract.
- Combine flours, cereal, gluten, salt and cinnamon in another bowl.
- With the mixer running, slowly begin adding the flour to the wet ingredients, beating well to fully incorporate it all.
- Knead (by mixer or by hand) 5-7 minutes, until stiff and pulling into a ball.
- Place into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 10 even balls.
- Allow to rest 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375F and bring a large pot of water to a boil (at this point you can add maple syrup to the water for even more flavour).
- Shape each dough ball into a fairly thin ring, placing on lined or greased baking sheets.
- Two by two, drop the bagels into the boiling water and cook for one minute on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon or spider, draining thoroughly, and place back on the sheets.
- Top the bagels with a light sprinkle of flax seeds.
- Bake for 35 minutes, rotating sheets 1/2 way through baking time.
- Remove bagels immediately to a wire rack and cool completely.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!