Ham amp Cheese Flutes FlogeresFrom blackcupcake 5 years ago
- 26-27 thin slices of boiled ham, sandwich-sized slices shopping list
- 2 pounds of soft yellow cheese (gouda or other) shopping list
- 1 pound phyllo sheets, defrosted shopping list
- 10 egg whites shopping list
- 1/2 cup of water shopping list
- olive oil for frying shopping list
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds of grated kefalotyri cheese (or other sharp grating cheese) shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare ingredients:
- Cut each sheet of phyllo into 3 long strips. (Keep unused phyllo covered with a sheet of plastic wrap topped with a damp towel while working to keep the phyllo sheets from drying out.)
- Cut each piece of ham in half.
- Cut the cheese into small finger-shaped pieces.
- Place the grated cheese in a shallow bowl.
- Place one piece of ham and a piece of cheese at one end of the phyllo strip and roll up.
- Twist the ends slightly and tuck under.
- Continue until all ham and cheese has been used, keeping prepared "flutes" well covered with plastic wrap.
- Whisk together the egg whites and water.
- Dip the flutes into the egg whites and roll in grated cheese.
- Fry quickly in very hot oil - enough so that they don't stick on the bottom of the pan - until golden.
- Yield: about 40 pieces
- Make Ahead: Flutes can be formed in the phyllo a few days ahead, and kept covered (airtight) in the refrigerator.
- Dip in egg whites and grated cheese and fry just before serving.