Smoked Baby Swiss pie CrustFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- 6 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated smoked baby swiss cheese shopping list
- 7 tablespoons ice-cold water shopping list
How to make it
- For the crust, flatten the shortening into a disk on a piece of plastic wrap; wrap and freeze. Cut the unsalted butter into small cubes; wrap and freeze for 1/2 hour.
- Place the flour, cayenne, salt, and sugar in a food processor and pulse 2 times for 1 to 2 seconds each time. Scatter the frozen butter cubes over the flour and pulse about 8 times. Break up the frozen shortening over the flour mixture and pulse 6 times. Add the cheese and pulse 3 times. Pour the cold water over the pastry mixture and pulse 6 to 8 times, just until the dough comes together.
- Place the pastry on a floured surface, pressing to form a ball. Divide and shape the dough into 2 disks, one slightly larger than the other. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days..
- On a floured surface, roll out the larger disk to an 11-inch circle. Press into a 9-inch pie plate. Roll the other disk to a 9 1/2-inch circle. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust. Top with the smaller crust. Trim the edges and crimp.
- brush top with a egg wash or with cream optional
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!