Lemon Ice CreamFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 1 large egg, preferably farm-fresh shopping list
- 2 large egg yolks, preferably farm-fresh shopping list
- 2 cups whole milk, preferably hormone-free shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream, preferably not ultrapasteurized shopping list
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 lemons) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied lemon peels (or 1 shopping list
- tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, preferably organic) shopping list
How to make it
- Prep time does not include chilling time
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg and yolks together.
- Have ready a fine mesh sieve suspended over a large heatproof bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, sugar, and salt, and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is hot to the touch (it should register about 140° F on an instant-read thermometer).
- Whisking the eggs constantly, slowly whisk in about 1/4 cup of the hot milk.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan, whisking the contents of the saucepan constantly.
- Continue to cook the custard over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (it should register 170° F on an instant-read thermometer), 3 to 4 minutes.
- Immediately strain the custard into the large bowl.
- Let cool for five minutes.
- When custard is cool, whisk in the chilled cream.
- Cover mixture and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Whisk in the lemon juice and zest, if using (if you are using the candied lemon peels, they will be added later), and churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
- If using the candied lemon peels, add them during the last minute of churning.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
Sweet Tooth446 members
Ice Cream118 members
Dairy Preparations8 members
Lemon Lovers166 members
Fix And Freeze Recipes40 members
SUMMERTIME SCRUMPTIOUS SENSATIONS25 members
Ice Cream You Scream19 members
Desserts Desserts Everywhere48 members