Beef Soup with RiceFrom gtom 5 years ago
- 12 oz lean sirloin shopping list
- 32 fl oz beef broth shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken shopping list
- 2 star anise shopping list
- 2 TB dark soy sauce shopping list
- 2 TB dry sherry (or red wine) shopping list
- 3 TB tomato paste shopping list
- 4 oz can water chestnuts, drained and sliced shopping list
- 3 cups cooked white or brown basmati rice shopping list
- 1 TSP zested orange rind shopping list
- 6 TB orange juice shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Carefully trim away any fat from the beef. Cut the beef into thin strips and then place into a large saucepan.
- Pour the broth over the beef and add the cinnamon, star anise, soy sauce, sherry (wine), tomato paste and water chestnuts. Bring to a boil, skimming away any surface scum with a flat ladle. Cover the pan and simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
- Skim the soup with a flat ladle to remove any more scum. Remove and discard the cinnamon and star anise and blot the surface with absorbant paper towels to remove any fat.
- Stir in the rice, orange rind, and orange juice. Check the seasoning. Heat through for 2-3 minutes before ladling into bowls. Serve garnished with strips of orange rind and snipped chives (optional).