Spicy Sweet Potato and Chestnut GratinFrom dond 5 years ago
- 8 ounces skim milk shopping list
- 4 ounces maple syrup shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 2 Ancho chiles shopping list
- 2 large sweet potatoes shopping list
- 3 leeks, white part only, sliced thin shopping list
- 4 ounces coarsely chopped roasted chestnuts shopping list
- 2 ounces grated aged monterey jack cheese shopping list
- Snipped chives for garnish shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Spray an ovenproof casserole with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and maple syrup to a simmer. Immediately remove from heat, add the chiles and chopped garlic, and allow to steep for 30 minutes.
- Purée mixture in a blender.
- Peel and thinly slice the sweet potatoes. Lay one-third of the sliced potatoes in an overlapping pattern in the bottom of the casserole. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle one-third of the milk and syrup mixture over the layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle with one-third of the leeks and one-third of the chestnuts.
- Top with one-third of the cheese.
- Repeat layering process two more times.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the gratin is brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with snipped chives.
- Serve either in squares or simply scooped out of the casserole dish.