Lithuanian KrupnikasFrom grizzlybear 4 years ago
- • 10 cardamom seeds shopping list
- • 1/2 nutmeg seed shopping list
- • 2 teaspoons caraway seed shopping list
- • 10 whole cloves shopping list
- • 10 whole allspice berries shopping list
- • 4 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks shopping list
- • 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns shopping list
- • 1 pinch crushed saffron threads (optional) shopping list
- • 2 (1 inch) pieces fresh ginger root shopping list
- • 2 (1 inch) pieces fresh turmeric (yellow ginger) shopping list
- • 3 large strips of orange zest shopping list
- • 3 large strips of lemon zest shopping list
- • 4 cups water shopping list
- • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract shopping list
- • 2 pounds honey shopping list
- • 1 quart 190 proof grain alcohol (100 proof vodka will work if you cannot get grain alcohol) shopping list
How to make it
- Crack the cardamom seeds and nutmeg with a heavy skillet on a cutting board. Toss them into a saucepan with the caraway seed, cloves, allspice berries, cinnamon sticks, peppercorns, saffron, ginger, turmeric, orange zest and lemon zest. Pour in the water, and bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer until the liquid is reduced by 1/2. Strain out spices, and set the liquid aside.
- Pour honey into a large pot, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Skim off any foam from the top. Stir in the strained liquid from the spices and vanilla extract. Remove from heat and place far from the stove to avoid any flare-ups from the grain alcohol. Slowly stir in the grain alcohol. Place the pot back onto the burner over low heat and cover. Heat through, being careful not to boil or even simmer. Remove from heat and let stand overnight with the lid on.
- The following day, pour the liquid into sterile bottles, seal, and allow to settle for 2 weeks. The longer you let it sit, the clearer it will become and the better it tastes. Serve warm.
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
The Rating2 people
I haven't had a good Krupnika in a long time!
I give you a 5 just for posting. Tell me if you make it and I will be there to have a taste but I will sit on the floor so I don't have a long way to fall.
Vickievictoriaregina in USA loved it
love the spices in this drink!! thank you!!ttaaccoo in Buffalo loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!