Horseradish-Mashed-Potato Shepherds PieFrom mapcenter 4 years ago
- 5 baking potatoes, peeled & cut into 1" chunks shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 1/2 c milk shopping list
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 2 tbsp prepared horseradish shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) shopping list
- 3 parsnips, peeled & chopped shopping list
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 lbs ground sirloin shopping list
- 3 tbsp flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 c beef broth shopping list
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh chives shopping list
How to make it
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil.
- Salt the water, lower the heat and simmer until fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Drain, then mash with the milk until smooth.
- Stir in the egg and horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat.
- Add the parsnips, carrots, onion and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Crumble the beef into the pan and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour on top and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the beef broth and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season with the Worcestershire sauce and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Grease a shallow, medium casserole dish; add the meat mixture and top with the horseradish potatoes.
- Bake until golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle the chives on top.
The Cookmapcenter Minneapolis
- Not added to any groups yet!