AUSTRALIAN SAUSAGE ROLLSFrom nainajani 4 years ago
- 2 rolls of lean sausage, as lean as possible(Rae favors Jimmy Dean's) shopping list
- 1 large or two medium onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 pkg. puff pastry sheets, or phyllo (no hydrogenated oils!) shopping list
- 4 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs, chopped (Rae uses basil and cilantro. shopping list
- You can experiment with herbs that you like.) shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 loaf of French bread (optional) shopping list
- 1 can chicken broth, heated (homemade is best if you have it!) shopping list
How to make it
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 1. Put chopped onion in a large bowl. Slice French bread lengthwise, pull out the soft middle and place in bowl with the onion. Drench the bread and onion in the heated chicken broth. This will soften both the onion and the bread. (Reminder, it is not necessary to use the bread in this recipe).
- 2. To the bread and onion, add sausage, herbs and eggs and mix well.
- 3. Lay out the pastry or phyllo sheets. Fill a pastry bag with sausage mixture (do not use a decorative tip). Onto one end of the pastry, squeeze an even roll of meat mixture. Roll once around, cutting off excess to use for the next roll. Repeat for the rest of the meat mixture.
- 4. You may have as many as four to six rolls. Cut into two inch squares. Pinch ends of each square closed and cut two holes in the tops. If desired, you can brush the tops with egg whites.
- 5. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Sherrie likes to dip them in ketchup when she eats them, but they are fabulous just out of the oven and slightly cooled.
The Cooknainajani DUBAI, AE
- Not added to any groups yet!