Squash And Black-eyed Bean Stew - Slightly IndianFrom matfromengland 5 years ago
- 500g / 1.1 lbs (US) ripe butternut squash or pumpkin roughly diced shopping list
- 400g can black-eyed beans, or something similar shopping list
- 500g potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped shopping list
- 4 ripe tomatoes cut into wedges shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds shopping list
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds - preferably yellow shopping list
- 1 large onion, finely sliced (don't use a red onion) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons Indian curry paste - preferably Balti, Pataks make a good one - don't use Korma! shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed, chopped or sliced shopping list
- 600ml / 2.5 cups (US) vegetable stock shopping list
- TO GARNISH: shopping list
- salt & black pepper shopping list
- lemons for squeezing, or bottled lemon juice shopping list
- Coriander (cilantro leaves) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the cumin and mustard seeds and cook for 1 minute till they begin to pop and splutter. Mind your eyes.
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the potatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the squash/pumpkin. Simmer for a further 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the black-eyed beans and tomatoes and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Season to taste.
- Allow to cool. Serve on a bed of white rice or couscous. Garnish with juice from a fresh lemon.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- matfromengland Peterborough, GB
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookmatfromengland Peterborough, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!