Tippin Family FajitasFrom cuzpat 7 years ago
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts or chicken tenders, sliced into strips shopping list
- flour tortillas (we used flavored tortillas, like sun dried tomato and spinach) shopping list
- 3 onions, chopped medium (each onion is prepared differently) shopping list
- 1 jar D. L. Jardine's Fajita marinade sauce (or any marinade you prefer) shopping list
- Grated cheddar cheese shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- fresh basil and oregano, chopped shopping list
- For the Special Sauce: shopping list
- 1/2 cup Cabernet Sauvignon (or any red wine) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup white vinegar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Marinate chicken strips in marinade sauce for about an hour
- Grill marinated chicken strips until seared on both sides. (The Tippins use an outdoor grill because they like the taste, but you can also grill stove top).
- While the chicken is grilling, stir fry three rounds of onion in olive oil. The first round is cooked until they are almost black. Add the second onion right on top of the blackened onion and cook until they are just translucent. Add the third chopped onion to the same pan, and barely cook it. (The three variations of cooked onions add a marvelous depth of flavor.)
- Break the cooked chicken into pieces and add it to the pan of onions
- In a small bowl, combine Special Sauce ingredients and add to the chicken and onions. Season with basil and/or oregano. The Tippins like to use both. Cover and let the flavors blend for a few minutes.
- Place the fajita mixture on tortillas with grated cheese and roll them up. You can serve this with any of your favorite side items, like sour cream, salsa, guacamole, refried beans, etc.