Medium White Sauce Makes 2 cupsFrom coffeebean53 7 years ago
How to make it
- Melt butter over low heat in sauce pan.
- Blend in flour and seasoning over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Allow to cook for at least 1 minute to eliminate raw flour flavor.
- Remove from heat, SLOWLY add milk, stirring constantly to make a smooth paste; stir in remaining milk.
- Return to heat, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil again and keep stirring until thickened.
- If you want cheesy white sauce, add 1/2 cup shredded cheese (you can add as much cheese as you like to make it as cheesy as you wish).
- Cover pan with tight fitting lid to prevent film formation until sauce is to be used.
- Use on creamed and scalloped foods, sauces, gravies and in vegetable dips.
- Variations to the above recipe:
- Cheese Sauce
- Prepare the above recipe omitting the salt. Add one of the following:
- *1 ½ c. shredded processed Swiss or American cheese.
- *½ c. crumbled blue cheese
- *¾ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Stir over low heat until cheese melts.
- Serve with vegetables.
- Herb-Garlic Sauce: Prepare as above, except cook 2 cloves garlic, minced, in the melted butter or margarine for 30 seconds. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed or celery seed, or dried basil, oregano, or sage, crushed, with the flour. Serve with vegetables or poultry.
- Lemon-Chive Sauce: Prepare as above, except stir in 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives and 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel with the flour. Serve with vegetables, poultry, or fish.