Brazilian Condensed Milk FlanFrom marianna 7 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat the oven at 200°C or 390°F.
- Boil water (a full kettle, enough to pour half way into a roasting pan).
- Solve the sugar in a sauce pan until it caramelizes and turns golden brown. Don't let the caramel burn too much or it will become bitter. Pour it in the angel food cake pan immediately. Swirl the caramel around the angel food cake pan, as to cover the surface. It doesn't have to cover the whole thing, but mostly the base and part of the sides. Let it cool a bit.
- In a blender, mix together the 2 cans of condensed milk, the milk, eggs and vanilla. Blend until combined. Skim the excess froth.
- Pour the milk misture in to the angel food cake pan (already caramelized).
- Put the angel food cake pan inside a roasting pan and place it in the oven, then pour the boiling water in the roasting pan until it covers half of the angel food cake pan. The flan will be baked in bain marie.
- Let it bake for 1h15min, but always check. Add more boiling water to the bain marie if it evaporates too much. After 1h15min, If it's too wobbly, it still needs more time. In my lazy oven it took alarming 2 hours. The top should be golden and kind of firm. Remember: the flan will become firmer after you refrigerate it.
- When it's baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool completely. The edges of the flan might stick to the pan, but don't be alarmed. Separate it gently from the pan using the tip of a knife. The caramel was liquefied in the bain marie so the flan is moist and it's not glued to the angel food cake pan.
- Refrigerate it until it's cold (after cooled naturaly, I let it in the fridge for 1 hour. The surface of my flan was very firm, I could tell it was safe to flip it. If you think yours is still a bit wobbly, then let it set for a while longer. My mom usually waits overnight) . Then place a plate on top of the pan and carefully flip over the flan.
The Cookmarianna Rio De Janeiro, BR
- Not added to any groups yet!