Date Nut Cake With Coconut FrostingFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- Cake: shopping list
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates shopping list
- 1 tablespoon solid shortening shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 cup chopped walnuts shopping list
- Frosting: shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 6 tablespoons light-brown sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream shopping list
- 1 cup shredded coconut shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 5-3/4 x 3 x 2-1/8-inch mini loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- 3. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add dates, shortening, baking soda and vanilla. Stir until shortening is melted. Remove from heat; stir into dry ingredients. Add egg and beat with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are combined. Stir in walnuts.
- 4. Divide between prepared loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack; cool completely.
- 5. Frosting: Heat broiler. In a small saucepan, melt butter and sugar. Stir in cream and coconut. Spread frosting equally over the two loaves. Broil for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes until lightly browned. Let loaves cool completely.
- 6. To present as a gift, place cooled cake in decorative tin or wrap in pretty paper.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating4 people
Funny you should post this now....last week I was thinking that I haven't made date nut bread in years. My recipe never had such a delightful frosting. Sounds yummy!mrsc543 in North Reading loved it
ohhh wow thats very pretty looking and yummy ill bet ...thank you
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
I will be trying this it has all the right ingredients. Thanks for sharing. Donnakytigger in Louisville loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!