Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup with Lemongrass Canh Chua TomFrom richkurt 6 years ago
- • 1 cup rice, prepared in a rice cooker or saucepan as directed shopping list
- • ¾ pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved for the broth shopping list
- • 3 stalks lemongrass, with the green stalks cut off from the white bulb and reserved--and with the tender inner heart of the bulb pounded flat, minced finely, and set aside shopping list
- • 4 cups water shopping list
- • 1 15-ounce can straw mushrooms, drained shopping list
- • 1 small tomato, peeled and cut into thin wedges shopping list
- • 1 lime, grated and juiced shopping list
- Garnishes: shopping list
- • 2 green onions, sliced on the diagonal shopping list
- • 1½ cups bean sprouts shopping list
- • 3 Tablespoons lime juice shopping list
- • 4 Tablespoons nuoc mam (fish sauce) shopping list
- • chili oil or Vietnamese chili-garlic sauce, to taste and to pass separately shopping list
How to make it
- Cook the rice as directed, and reserve. Ready the garnishes and set aside.
- Prepare the broth by bringing 4 cups of water to a boil with the shrimp shells, then adding the lemongrass stalks and removing from heat. After a minute, strain out the shells and stalks.
- When ready to serve, add the mushrooms, lime juice and grated peel, minced lemongrass heart, and tomato to the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer for 2 more minutes. Pour into a tureen. Stir in the garnishes. Take to the table and serve at once, passing the rice and chili sauce separately.