Amish Baked OatmealFrom scruggs420 4 years ago
- 6 large eggs I use the equivalent of egg whites and it works well. shopping list
- 3/4 cup apple juice concentrate,undiluted and unsweetened shopping list
- 3 1/4 cups of any kind of milk, I use soy shopping list
- 1 cup canola oil, use a cup of applesauce instead-tastes great shopping list
- 1 cup maple syrup shopping list
- 5 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 4 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 6 cups rolled oats or quick oats, see below shopping list
- 4 medium apples, chopped fairly small shopping list
- 1-2 cups of raisins or craisins shopping list
- 1 cup nuts, chopped,any kind you like (optional) shopping list
- 1/2 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- add ons could be raisins,dried cranberries,apricots, etc. shopping list
How to make it
- How To Make Amish Baked Oatmeal
- 1. Grease 9 X 13 - inch glass or stoneware baking dish and set aside.
- 2. In mixer bowl with whisk attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, whip eggs, concentrated apple juice, milk, canola oil and maple syrup together until foamy.
- 3. Add cinnamon, baking powder and oatmeal, and stir until mixed. Add apples, walnuts, and any other add-ins. Stir in and mix well.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 5. Mix the 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together.
- 6. If making the Baked Oatmeal with quick oats, pour into prepared pan, sprinkle the brown sugar over the oatmeal, and let sit for 15 minutes so the oats can soak up some of the liquid before baking. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Oatmeal will puff up and rise a bit while baking, but will settle while cooling.
- 7. If using old-fashioned rolled oats, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge, uncover, and let sit while the oven is preheating to 350 degrees F. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until puffed and slightly browned around the edges. Bake time may take longer straight out of the refrigerator.
- 8. Careful! Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Baked Oatmeal can be very hot!
- 9. Serves 6-10, depending on serving size.
- 10. Serving suggestions: Top with yogurt and fresh fruit; Top with whipped cream for dessert; Add milk and sprinkle with brown sugar; Drizzle pure maple syrup over the top.
- Thanks to the Amish girl at Troyers Market in Berlin Ohio for the wonderful recipe