Duck SauceFrom tuilelaith 6 years ago
How to make it
- Combine the preserves, vinegar & ginger & heat to a simmer.
- Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat & stir in the chopped scallions.
- Will keep refrigerated for 2 weeks or so.
- "Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant Cookbook"
- Duck sauce is an orange and sticky Chinese condiment primarily made from plums and apricots, although other fruits can be used for your own variation. Actually, it's mistakenly called duck sauce, as it is actually plum sauce. You see, when Chinese food was becoming westernized, plum sauce was used for the Chinese dish Peking duck instead of hoisin sauce, and hence it became known as "duck sauce."
- The plums and apricots give duck sauce it's orange hue and are overwhelmingly the most prevelant ingredients in the traditional recipe. It's sweet taste is the perfect compliment to many Chinese appitizers such as spring rolls and egg rolls.
People Who Like This Dish 13
The Cooktuilelaith Columbia, MO
The Rating5 people
Sounds yummy! I love the sauce too.gapeach55 in Covington loved it
I am so happy that you posted this! I make a lot of Chinese food at home and go through tons of duck sauce. I will be glad to not have to keep buying it! Five rating from me!mrsc543 in North Reading loved it
Yum! I will never buy the jar kind again. ^5!!a1patti in Salem loved it