Beef and Black Bean BurritosFrom davik 7 years ago
- 2 lb beef (typically round steak or another tough cheap cut), trimmed of fat and cut in to 2" cubes shopping list
- 1-2 medium onions rough minced shopping list
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced shopping list
- 3-4 t cumin shopping list
- salt shopping list
- black pepper shopping list
- 1/2-1 can chipotles (chopped) shopping list
- 2-3 t ground dried New Mexico chiles shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1/2 t oregano shopping list
- veggie oil (or bacon grease) shopping list
- 1 can diced tomatoes shopping list
- several healthy dashes liquid smoke shopping list
- jalepenos to taste (minced) shopping list
- 1 large can black beans shopping list
How to make it
- Saute the onions and garlic in the oil in a moderately sized chef's pan (generally about 4 quarts), adding the jalepenos after about a minute.
- When translucent, add the beef, enough water to mostly fill the pot, and all ingredients except the tomatoes and black beans.
- Simmer for hours until liquid is mostly reduced (maybe 3/4" left in the pan) and the beef is tender.
- Scoop the beef out leaving the liquid and veggies as much as possible.
- Shred the beef using two forks.
- Return the beef to the remaining liquid along with the beans and tomatoes; cook until enough liquid is gone for it to make a decent burrito filling, stirring frequently. The beef will absorb a fair amount of liquid, but the tomatoes will release a lot while they cook.
- Serve on tortillas with slices of montery jack cheese and either salsa verde or red enchilada sauce (recipes posted).
- Keep in mind I don't measure ingredients, so all amounts are approximate, adjust to taste and heat tolerance.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- davik Lansing, MI
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookdavik Lansing, MI
- Not added to any groups yet!