If It Woks Like A Duck - Duck Breast With Stir-fry And Cashew Fried Rice Szechuan StyleFrom alisdhair 6 years ago
- 4 Very large duck breasts (at least DD) shopping list
- MARINADE: shopping list
- ¾ cup of peanut oil shopping list
- 2 tbls. of brown sugar shopping list
- 2 tbls. of aged soy sauce shopping list
- ¼ cup of sweet port wine shopping list
- ¼ cup of fresh orange juice shopping list
- A splurt of oyster sauce shopping list
- 1 tbls. of spicey red chili sauce (I use Sriracha) shopping list
- 2 tsp. of freshly ground szechuan peppercorns shopping list
- STIRFRY shopping list
- 1 ½ lbs. of oyster mushrooms shopping list
- 1 large carrot (not traditional but good) shopping list
- 4 large stalks of celery shopping list
- 2 med. sized red bell peppers shopping list
- 1 ½ cups of small broccoli florets shopping list
- 1 cup of baby corn shopping list
- 1 large bunches of scallions shopping list
- 4 oz. of baby spinach leaves shopping list
- 1 cup of duck or chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tsp. of cornflour shopping list
- oil to sauté shopping list
- fresh garlic to taste shopping list
- Fresh ginger to taste shopping list
- RICE: shopping list
- 4 cups of basmati rice 90% of the way cooked, and cooled shopping list
- 1 med sized white onion shopping list
- 1 ½ cups of roughly crushed cashews shopping list
- 2 cups of duck or chicken stock shopping list
- peanut oil shopping list
How to make it
- FOR THE DUCK: Cut the duck into long strips (the skin may be left on – your choice). Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together and let the duck soak therein for 4-5 hours. Drain it before cooking but save the marinade.
- Cut the mushrooms into large pieces. Cut the carrot in half then into long, thin diagonal slices and cut the celery into long, thin diagonal slices. Cut the red peppers into med-large triangular shapes and cut the scallions at a very sharp bias keeping them rather long.
- You could cut the baby corn in half lengthwise as well.
- Parboil the carrots celery and the broccoli until they are all a little over halfway done.
- Heat a wok and add the mushrooms and peppers – cook dry for a minute, add a little oil and cook more until the peppers begin to brown on the edges. Add the duck and cook further until it too has browned.
- Add the carrot, celery, baby corn and broccoli. Season with the garlic and ginger and cook 2 minutes before adding the cup of stock which should already have the cornstarch dissolved in it. Season further with as much of the marinade from the duck as you wish and stir fry it until the sauce is tight. At the very end toss in the scallions and spinach and cook for 30 – 45 seconds.
- Finely dice the onion and toast the cashews. Heat some of the oil in a wok or other such a pan and sauté the onion until it has deeply caramelised. Add the rice (and more oil if needed) and cook a minute while stirring CONTINUOUSLY. Pour in the stock and flip in the cashews, cook until the stock has been absorbed.
- TO SERVE: Make a ring of rice on a plate and simply serve the stir-fry in the midst of it.
- *or as an alternative the duck breasts could be left whole and charcoal grilled separately then sliced and fanned out over the top of it all.
The Cookalisdhair Falcarragh, IE
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!