Leftovers Turkey SoupFrom sosousme 4 years ago
- For the Stock: shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 turkey carcass, broken into as small of pieces as you can shopping list
- turkey legs and thigh bones shopping list
- turkey wings shopping list
- 1 onion coarsely chopped shopping list
- 4 sprigs parsley shopping list
- 2 sprigs thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 large bay leaf shopping list
- 1 quart low-salt beef broth shopping list
- Cold water shopping list
- For the Soup: shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1 cup diced celery shopping list
- 1 cup diced carrot shopping list
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 2 tablespoons flour shopping list
- turkey stock shopping list
- Reserved turkey meat shopping list
- 8 ounces cooked small pasta, such as Ditali or small elbow (or rice or noodles) shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the Stock:
- Heat the oil in a large stock or soup pot; add the turkey pieces and brown for about 10 minutes. Add all the remaining stock ingredients and enough cold water to cover; bring to a boil; reduce the heat to barely a simmer; simmer 3 - 4 hours.
- Drain though a fine sieve lined with 3 layers of cheesecloth into a large bowl. Set the vegetables, meat and bones aside to cool. (I like to prepare the stock the day before making the soup, setting it uncovered in the refrigerator so the fat is easy to remove. If you want to skip that step, proceed with making the soup.) When the vegetables and bones are cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, tear or cut into small pieces taking care to remove the small pieces of bone. Set-aside. Discard the vegetables and bones.
- Prepare the Soup:
- If making with all fresh ingredients* - In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-low heat; add the onion, celery, carrot and green beans; give them a good pinch of salt; cover and sweat** over low heat for 10 - 15 minutes - do not brown. Stir in the parsley, thyme and flour; saute a couple minutes then add the stock along with the meat and peas. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add the cooked pasta; simmer until heated through; taste and adjust seasonings. Top with additional minced parsley if desired.
- *LindySez - If using left-over vegetables, eliminate them from the sweating process. Add them to the soup near the end of the cooking time and allow them to heat through. ** Sweating... when the heat is low, the moisture from the vegetables come to the surface and all the flavor that is deep within comes out.
- Per Serving: 305 Calories; 10g Fat (2g Sat, 6g Mono, 2g Poly); 22g Protein; 30g Carbohydrates; 3g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 923mg Sodium.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!