Just The Beginnings Chicken SoupFrom sosousme 6 years ago
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 1 back (halved) and two breasts, as much skin removed as possible shopping list
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in half shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves, cut in half shopping list
- 1 onion, quartered shopping list
- 1 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth, or homemade :-) shopping list
- 8 cups water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Place the chicken legs, thighs, wings and back into a pot or Dutch oven (set the breasts aside, we will add those later so they don't overcook and get all dry, dark meat holds its moisture and flavor much better than does the white meat); add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook for 1 hour, skimming any foam that rises. Add the breasts and simmer for about 15 minutes longer. Remove the chicken to a bowl and strain the broth through a fine sieve.
- When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and cut or shred into bite sized pieces. Thinly slice the carrots, coarsely chop the celery and onions. Return all to the pan and heat. Stir in the parsley.
- Now, add cooked rice, noodles, macaroni, orzo, or whatever.
- Taste and adjust seasonings
- Per Serving: (without addition of starches); 344 Calories; 17g Fat (4g Sat, 8g Mono, 3g Poly); 43g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 138mg Cholesterol; 368mg Sodium.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!