Spicy Sweet Potato Soup ShootersFrom deliathecrone 5 years ago
- 2 tsp. canola oil shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 large shallot, chopped shopping list
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 -1 tsp. green Thai chili paste, or to taste shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger shopping list
- 1 medium sweet potato (12 ounces), peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 (15 oz.) can fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (juice of 2 limes) shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
- Fresh limes, cut in thin wedges, or lime zest, for garnish (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, shallot and carrots until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until the mixture is orange and the onion is soft, 4 minutes more.
- Mix in the chili paste and ginger, and cook until they are fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet potato and chicken broth. Pour in 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes, or until the carrots and sweet potato are very soft. Let sit to cool slightly.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor until creamy.
- Add the coconut milk and lime juice. Whirl just until blended.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- For “shooters,” serve in small glasses. Garnish each serving with a thin lime wedge or a grating of lime zest.
- Per 1-cup serving: 117 calories, 5 g. total fat (3 g. saturated fat), 17 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. protein, 3 g. dietary fiber, 253 mg. sodium.