Black Bean Soup Shooters with Mexican CheeseFrom deliathecrone 5 years ago
- 1 lb. dried black beans, soaked in water overnight* shopping list
- 1 lb. smoked ham hocks shopping list
- 3-4 cups water shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin shopping list
- 1 tsp. chili powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, optional shopping list
- 1/2 cup sour cream shopping list
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Shredded Authentic mexican cheese shopping list
- *Quick tip: Omit the soaking and cooking step for the dried beans. Add 2 cups water to two 15 or 16 oz. cans of drained black beans to the broth mixture. Proceed as recipe directs. shopping list
How to make it
- Drain the soaked beans; place in a large saucepan. Add ham hocks, 3 cups water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Add additional water, in 1/2 cup increments, if needed.
- In another large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cumin, chili powder and pepper flakes; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and the beans, liquid and ham hocks to the pan; bring to a boil over high heat; Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes or until beans are very tender. Remove from heat; remove ham hocks and discard bay leaf.
- Stir cilantro and brown sugar, if desired, into soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Puree mixture in small batches in a food processor or blender.
- Discard skin and bones from ham hocks; MINCE ham and return to soup.
- Reheat and ladle into small glasses; top with sour cream, cheese and additional cilantro if desired.