Pasta with Pumpkin and SausageFrom deliathecrone 5 years ago
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon shopping list
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, cracked and chopped shopping list
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried shopping list
- 4 to 6 sprigs sage leaves, cut into chiffonade, about 2 tablespoons shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1 cup chicken stock, canned or paper container shopping list
- 1 cup canned pumpkin shopping list
- 1/2 cup (3 turns around the pan) heavy cream shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ground or freshly grated shopping list
- Coarse salt and black pepper shopping list
- 1 pound penne rigate, cooked al dente shopping list
- Romano or parmigiano, for grating shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and brown the sausage in it.
- Transfer sausage to paper towel lined plate. Drain fat from skillet and return pan to the stove.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil, and then the garlic and onion. Saute 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are tender.
- Add bay leaf, sage, and wine to the pan. Reduce wine by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add stock and pumpkin and stir to combine, stirring sauce until it comes to a bubble.
- Return sausage to pan, reduce heat, and stir in cream.
- Season the sauce with the cinnamon and nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer mixture 5 to 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
- Return drained pasta to the pot you cooked it in. Remove the bay leaf from sauce and pour the sausage pumpkin sauce over pasta.
- Combine sauce and pasta and toss over low heat for 1 minute.
- Garnish the pasta with lots of shaved cheese and sage leaves.