Caribbean Corn BreadFrom choclytcandy 7 years ago
- 3 oz finely ground yellow corn flour (not cornstarch) shopping list
- 4 fl oz boiling water shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 16 oz white flour shopping list
- 1/2 oz of easy blend yeast shopping list
- 1 tsp of white sugar shopping list
- 4 fl oz warm milk shopping list
- 4 fl oz warm water shopping list
- 1 oz butter shopping list
How to make it
- Put the corn flour in a saucepan and pour the boiling water over it. Cook for 6 -8 minutes with 1/2 tsp salt; keep stirring so that it does not stick, then spread over a large plate to cool.
- Put the flour, yeast, 1 tsp each of salt and sugar in a large bowl, mix in the barely warmed milk, add the cooled corn and begin mixing together, adding the warmed water a little at a time to make the dough.
- The amount of water varies according to the coarseness of the corn meal. At first it may look as if the corn meal won't mix in evenly; try to break it up into small pieces as you add it to the flour, but kneading will distribute it perfectly if you do it for at least 10 minutes.
- I would check the dough for salt and add more if needed. Coat the dough when it is kneaded with the butter and leave to rise.
- Sometimes the dough is a little sticky when you punch it down for the second time, so sprinkle the board with an extra 1/2-1oz of flour as you knead it, then put into the baking dish and leave to rise again.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, cook for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 350 degrees for another 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool and then remove from baking dish.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
The Rating2 people
yummy!!! I could use a 'side' trip to the carribean right now.. WI is getting a nice gift from 'Mother Nature'.. a slick ice storm.. how's that 4 'Merry?' hah HIGH FIVE FORKS!!!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
Cookbook Reviews149 members
Anything Goes289 members
Ethnic Family Traditions Our Heritage Together135 members
Corn Bread54 members
Knead That Dough Bread And Beyond47 members
Butter Is Better68 members
International Baking67 members
Breads Rolls And Biscuits37 members