Gingerbread Apple Upside-Down CakeFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- Topping shopping list
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing pan shopping list
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- 4 apples (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges shopping list
- Batter shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) butter, at room temperature shopping list
- 1 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1/3 cup dark molasses shopping list
- 1/3 cup honey shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- Garnish: Very softly whipped cream shopping list
How to make it
- Make the topping:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Grease a 10-inch cake pan.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and simmer over moderate heat, stirring, four minutes, then swirl in salt.
- Remove from heat and pour into the bottom of your cake pan.
- Make circles of overlapping apple slices on top of the caramel.
- Chop any remaining slices and place them in the gaps.
- Make the batter: Using a mixer, blend 1/2 cup butter and the sugar on medium-low speed.
- Increase the speed to high and cream until light and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, molasses, honey and buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
- Alternate mixing the flour and molasses mixtures into the butter mixture, adding the next once the last has been incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool on a rack for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto a platter .
- Serve warm or cool with very softly whipped cream.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating5 people
Sounds absolutely wonderful!valinkenmore in Malott loved it
Sound so good!goodeat in Benton loved it