Grilled Smoked Sausage LinksFrom 30458grillmasters 6 years ago
How to make it
- Light the grill and throw them on the grill and keep them from burning to cinders. What could be simpler?
- Of course this is the old fashioned way...place the sausages right on the grill, which is the way I perfer to cook them. The biggest problem is that people use a high heat and burn the surface before the middle gets cooked. The other problem is that when a sausage cooks it leaks juices that can cause flare-ups and add to the burning problem. To eliminate the burning and the flare-ups you need to keep the fire low. This increases the cooking time, but lets the sausage cook gently and hold in its flavor.
- Some people may tell you to puncture the skin, but this will just let the juices out to start more fires and you will loose your flavor. Keep the sausage casing intact. If you want to serve the sausages straight up, then take care to cook them gently to preserve the appearance as much as the flavor
- Another way to grill sausages is to parboil them first. In fact there is a great recipe that calls for boiling sausages in half water, half beer before you put them on the grill.
- Adding something to the water can enhance the flavor and this can be a great way to get sausages partially cooked before they hit the grill, but if you use plain water you will be pulling flavor out of the sausages. To parboil first, drop sausages into boiling liquid long enough to tighten the skin. When you pull the sausages out the fat inside should be just starting to liquefy. Next, place the sausages on a hot grill over a medium low fire and finish cooking
- Another method is to cut the sausage lengthwise about 80% of the way through, so you can fold it out and lay it flat. This is a great way to get the insides cooked quickly because you can lay it skin side up; at least the skin won’t dry out. Of course when you are open up the sausage you are letting the juices drip out. While this might be a leaner way of cooking, it tends to dry out the sausages and leave them a bit lacking in flavor.
The Cook30458grillmasters Statesboro, GA
- Not added to any groups yet!