Stuffed Panettone French ToastFrom sosousme 7 years ago
- 1 panettone traditional Italian cake shopping list
- 6 tablespoons mascarpone, or as needed (or desired) shopping list
- 6 tablespoons apricot jam, or as needed shopping list
- 6 eggs shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cream, (it's important to use cream, not milk, or the cake will get too soggy and it will be hard to keep it together when you turn it) shopping list
- Pinch salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, or as needed shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- powdered sugar for serving; optional shopping list
How to make it
- Using a sharp serrated knife, thinly slice off two of the ends of the cake (save for another use); you should now have what resembles a loaf. Slice the cake into 8 even slices, about 1/3 inch thick.
- Lay on a clean work surface. spread mascarpone on one side of 4 pieces, and apricot jam on the other 4, fold together to form a "sandwich".
- In a large shallow bowl beat the eggs until well mixed; add the cream and a pinch of salt and mix until well combined.
- Heat the oil and butter together in a large skilled or griddle over medium heat; when hot, dip each "sandwich" on both sides into the egg mixture; put on the hot griddle (do not dip the sandwich until ready to cook them; do in batches if necessary); cook until browned, then carefully turn and cook the other side. Serve whole, or cut in half, sprinkled with powdered sugar, if desired.
- LindySez: While I think mascarpone is the best choice, you could substitute softened cream cheese if desired.
- Variation: Use either orange marmalade or peach jam in place of the apricot jam.