Poor Mans StewFrom goodeat 6 years ago
- 1-2 slices hog jowl shopping list
- 1 lb beef or pork, cubed shopping list
- 1 onion, sliced or diced shopping list
- 1 can prepared gravy shopping list
- 1 can peas shopping list
- 1 can diced carrots shopping list
- 1/2-2 cups potato flakes shopping list
- This can be done in a crock pot or in a skillet or Wok shopping list
How to make it
- If using a crock pot, put the slice(s) hog jowl in with the cubed meat and turn on high for 2 hours. When browned, add the onions and gravy. Fold a few times, then cover and let cook together for one hour. Add the peas and carrots. The canned vegetables should be drained and rinsed first if you are trying to watch your salt intake, otherwise, include the liquid into the crockpot. Slowly add the potato flakes to thicken the liquids in the stew. This varies because of how lean your meat was and wehter you added the liquid from the vegetables. Then let simmer on low for three-four hours.
- In a skillet over medium heat, put the sliced hog jowl, then add the cubed meat until lightly browned, then add the onions and flip a few times to get them all blended together and disperse the heat from the meat and grease to the onions. Add the vegetables and gravy and stir about a minute. Then add potato flakes to desired thickness. Cover and let simmer together 20-30 minutes, stirring once or twice and adding potato flakes as needed.
- Serve over pasta, rice or with bread.
- Number of servings varies greatly depending on the size and ages of family members and whether it is served over pasta, rice, with bread or alone.
The Cookgoodeat Benton, MO
The Rating3 people
'Hey brother can ya spare a dime?"... for this wonderful yummy stew!!! HIGH FIVE FORKS!!!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
This looks easy enough and I have a lot of this on hand.
There are many cooking groups that I will add this to that would love this one!
Polly Motzkopollymotzko in Garden Grove loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!