Butterscotch Meringue PieFrom hopscotch 3 years ago
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons water shopping list
- 2 cups cold milk shopping list
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 1 baked pie shell, 9-inch shopping list
How to make it
- Combine brown sugar, salt, and water in top of double boiler. Cook over boiling water, over moderate heat to a thick syrup (about 5 minutes). Mix 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch to make a smooth thin paste. Add 1 3/4 cups milk; then combine with hot syrup and cook over hot water until thick and smooth, then cook 15 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Stir a small amount of mixture into beaten egg yolks, return to double boiler, and cook a few minutes longer. Add butter and vanilla. Cool. Pour into baked pie shell.
- Top with a meringe.
- For brown sugar meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat egg whites until the hold stiff peaks. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly. Add vanilla. Pile lightly on filling; bake at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned.
The Cookhopscotch CA
- Not added to any groups yet!