Sage Sausage Cornbread DressingFrom asmith 4 years ago
- 2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix shopping list
- 8 slices day old white bread, cubed shopping list
- 2 16 oz pks sage sausage shopping list
- 1 c. onion, diced shopping list
- 1 c. celery, sliced shopping list
- 3-5 c. chicken broth shopping list
- optional: shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground sage shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions, set aside to cool. To cool faster, slice into thirds to let heat escape.
- While cornbread is cooling, chop celery and onions and cut bread into cubes, set aside.
- Cook sausage until well crumbled and no longer pink. Remove sausage from pan and set aside, leaving 2 tbsp of drippings in pan.
- Add vegetables and seasoning, if using, to pan. Saute until crisp tender. Remove from heat. (I don't use the extra seasoning, I find it flavorful enough without them)
- Add sausage and bread cubes to vegetables, toss to mix well.
- Crumble cooled cornbread into large bowl. Add sausage mixture and toss. Add chicken broth 1 cup at a time until desired moistness is achieved.
- Spoon into 13x9 glass baking dish and bake at 350 degrees 30 - 45 minutes, or until done.