Grilled Cheese And Short Rib Sandwiches With Pickled Caramelized Onions And ArugulaFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- Short Ribs: shopping list
- 5 pounds beef short ribs shopping list
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter shopping list
- 3 celery stalks, chopped shopping list
- 2 large carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 medium onion chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cups dry red wine shopping list
- 1/3 cup low-salt beef broth shopping list
- 1/3 cup medium-dry sherry shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 large thyme sprig shopping list
- pickled caramelized Onions: shopping list
- 1 tbs butter shopping list
- 2 large red onions, halved, thinly sliced crosswise (about 6 cups) shopping list
- 4 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar shopping list
- Sandwich: shopping list
- 16 slices country-style crust white bread shopping list
- 12 ounces Petit Basque (unpasteurized, uncooked hard sheep’s milk cheese from France) or monterey jack cheese, sliced shopping list
- 4 cups baby arugula shopping list
How to make it
- Short Ribs: Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a large wide pot over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook beef until browned, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to large rimmed baking sheet. Add celery, carrots, and onion to pot and saute until beginning to soften and brown stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine, broth, sherry, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Season with salt and pepper. Return ribs to pot, propping up on sides and arranging in single layer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 hour.
- Using tongs, turn ribs over in pot. Cover and simmer until ribs are tender and sauce is very thick, occasionally arranging ribs in pot to prevent sticking, about 1 1/2 hours longer. Uncover and cool 30 minutes.
- Transfer ribs to work surface. Discard bay leaves and thyme sprig. Spoon off fat from sauce in pot. Remove meat from bones, discard bones (or reserve for future use). Cut meat into 3/4-to-1-inch pieces, trimming any fat. Return meat to pot. Can be made 2 days in advance.
- Pickled Caramelized Onions:
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, sprinkle with salt and saute until beginning to brown, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar and cook until almost all vinegar is absorbed, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to microwave-safe bowl; cool. Can be made 2 days in advance.
- Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with waxed paper. Butter 8 bread slices, place 4 slices buttered side down, on each prepared sheet. Divide short rib mixture among bread slices, about 1/2 cup for each. Divide cheese among sandwiches. Spoon 1/4 cup onions over each sandwich.. Place large handful of arugula atop onions. Top with remaining 8 bread slices. Spread bread with butter. Can be assembled one hour in advance. Cover with plastic wrap and store a room temperature.
- Heat griddle on 2 large skillets over medium heat. Working in batches, cook sandwiches until bread is golden brown and cheese melts, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to work surface. Cut each in half on diagonal. Serve.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
The Rating3 people
Southern Essentials226 members
Grandma Junes Kitchen85 members
Southern Cooks561 members
Good Down Home Southern Food196 members
Onion Junkies100 members
Unusual Combinations82 members
Anything Goes289 members
101 A Cheese Place145 members
Just Sandwiches132 members
All Things Cheese76 members