Garden Casserole - Diabetic FriendlyFrom spinach1948 4 years ago
- Ingredients; shopping list
- 2 pounds eggplant, peeled shopping list
- 5 tsp. salt, divided shopping list
- ¼ cup Crisco light olive oil or canola oil shopping list
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced ½ inch thick shopping list
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2 celery ribs, sliced shopping list
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley shopping list
- ¼ cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil shopping list
- ½ tsp. pepper shopping list
- ½ cup grated romano cheese, reduced-fat shopping list
- 1 cup seasoned crumbs shopping list
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine shopping list
- 1 cup ( 4-oz ) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat 375 F.
- Cut eggplant into ½ inch thick slices; sprinkle both sides with 3 tsp. Salt . Place in a deep dish; cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water; drain and dry on paper towels.
- Cut eggplant into ½ inch cubes. Transfer to a large skillet; saute in oil until lightly browned. Add the onions, garlic and zucchini; cook 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, celery, parsley, basil, pepper and remaining salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in Romano cheese.
- Pour into a greased 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish. Combine crumbs and butter or margarine; sprinkle on top. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
The Cookspinach1948 Dorchester-Boston, MA
The Rating3 people
CASSEROLE COOKING110 members
Casserole Comfort130 members
Casserole A Day61 members
Diabetic Friendly Recipes43 members
Gastric Bypass Support Before And After4 members
Modified Or Doctored Up Recipes15 members