Mardi Gras Catfish GumboFrom canned_food_fan 6 years ago
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped celery shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained shopping list
- 1 can (14 ounces) low-sodium beef broth shopping list
- 1 can (14 ounces) sliced okra, drained shopping list
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn kernels, drained shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional shopping list
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 pound catfish fillets, tilapia or other firm, white fish fillets, cut in 1-inch chunks shopping list
- hot pepper sauce, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a large, heavy deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and celery; cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, okra, corn, bay leaf, thyme, salt if desired, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in fish and cover. Cook, stirring gently 2 or 3 times, until fish is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and season with hot sauce.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 250; Total fat 12g; Saturated fat 2g; Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 480mg; Carbohydrate 17g; Fiber 4g; Protein 18g; Vitamin A 10%DV*; Vitamin C 50%DV; Calcium 6%DV; Iron 10%DV
- * Daily Value