Bacon & Potato SoupFrom windy1950 5 years ago
- 1 lb bacon, medium diced shopping list
- 2 large onions, medium diced shopping list
- 1 bunch celery, medium diced shopping list
- 8 large white potatoes, pared and medium diced shopping list
- 2 46oz cans low sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1 tbsp ground horseradish (optional) shopping list
- Mrs Dash Original seasoning, to taste shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste shopping list
- instant potato flakes, as needed shopping list
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- In a 12 qt stockpot, brown the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to a papertowel-lined platter; cool and then crumble. Reserve until the last half hour of cooking time.
- Keeping about 1/4 cup of dripping in the pot, drain off the rest and reserve for another use. Add in the onions and celery, and cook until crisp tender.
- Add the potatoes, chicken broth, horseradish and seasonings, using a light hand with the salt (because of the bacon). Add water, if necessary, to bring the liquid level at least to the top of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn the burner to low and cover with vented lid. Cook until potatoes are done, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and scorching.
- Add just enough potato flakes to thicken to a creamed soup consistency. Add back in as little or as much of the bacon as desired. Heat through.
- Adjust seasoning and serve, adding a tablespoon or so of shredded cheese per serving, if desired.