Brisket A La CarbonnadeFrom chefmeow 5 years ago
- 4 pound beef brisket trimmed of excess fat shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 pounds onions halved lengthwise and thinly sliced lengthwise shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 12 ounce bottle beer shopping list
- 1 beef bouillon cube crumbled shopping list
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- Put rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350.
- Pat brisket dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in wide heavy ovenproof pot over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Brown meat well on all sides then transfer to a platter.
- Add onions and bay leaf to fat remaining in pot and cook over moderate heat 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally then remove from heat and transfer of the onions to a bowl.
- Set brisket over onions in pot then top with remaining onions.
- Add beer, bouillon cube and vinegar then bring to a boil.
- Cover pot then transfer to oven and braise until meat is very tender about 4 hours.
- Let meat cool in sauce uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board.
- Skim off any fat from sauce then discard bay leaf and season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Slice meat across the grain and serve with sauce.