Old Fashioned Potato GratinFrom chefmeow 6 years ago
- 4 large russet baking potatoes peeled and sliced 1/4" thick shopping list
- 1 garlic clove peeled and crushed shopping list
- 1 tablespoon softened unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 3 tablespoons grated gruyere cheese shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups whipping cream shopping list
How to make it
- Place rack in top position of oven then preheat oven to 350.
- Put potato slices in bowl of salted water to prevent discoloration.
- Firmly rub an oval gratin dish all over with garlic.
- Let dry a few minutes then rub bottom of dish with butter.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry with paper towels.
- Arrange a layer of potatoes slightly overlapping in bottom of buttered dish.
- Season with salt and pepper then sprinkle with a little of each of the two cheeses.
- Continue layering potatoes and cheese seasoning each layer and finishing with cheese. Drizzle cream along the sides of the dish so cheeses are not displaced.
- Bake uncovered until cream has been absorbed and top is crispy and golden.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.