TALL AND FLUFFY BUTTERMILK BISCUITSFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- Dough shopping list
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder shopping list
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon table salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold), cut into 1/4-inch cubes shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk cold, preferably low-fat shopping list
- To Form and Finish biscuits shopping list
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (5 ounces), distributed in rimmed baking sheet shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted shopping list
How to make it
- Note: We prefer to use low-fat buttermilk in these biscuits, but nonfat buttermilk will work as well (though the biscuits will be a little lighter in texture and flavor). For the highest rise, use a double-acting baking powder, such as Calumet, Clabber Girl, or Davis. Store leftover biscuits in an airtight zipper-lock bag. Reheat by placing them on a baking sheet in a 475-degree oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
- 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees. Spray 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Generously spray inside and outside of 1/4 cup dry measure with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. For the dough: In food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda to combine, about six 1-second pulses. Scatter butter cubes evenly over dry ingredients; pulse until mixture resembles pebbly, coarse cornmeal, eight to ten 1-second pulses. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Add buttermilk to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated (dough will be very wet and slightly lumpy).
- 3. To form and bake biscuits:Using 1/4 cup dry measure and working quickly, scoop level amount of dough; drop dough from measuring cup into flour on baking sheet (if dough sticks to cup, use small spoon to pull it free). Repeat with remaining dough, forming 12 evenly sized mounds. Dust tops of each piece of dough with flour from baking sheet. With floured hands, gently pick up piece of dough and coat with flour; gently shape dough into rough ball, shake off excess flour, and place in prepared cake pan. Repeat with remaining dough, arranging 9 rounds around perimeter of cake pan and 3 in center. Brush rounds with hot melted butter, taking care not to flatten them. Bake 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 450 degrees; continue to bake until biscuits are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes longer. Cool in pan 2 minutes, then invert biscuits from pan onto clean kitchen towel; turn biscuits right-side up and break apart. Cool 5 minutes longer and serve.
- NOTE: . 1. Using greased 1/4-cup measure, scoop 12 level portions of dough onto floured baking sheet. Lightly dust top of each biscuit with flour. 2. With floured hands, gently pick up piece of dough, coating outside with flour, shaping it into ball, and shaking off excess flour. 3. Place 9 biscuits snugly around perimeter of pan, then arrange last 3 in center.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!