MUFFULETTA WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOESFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- Olive Salad shopping list
- 1 cup pitted green olives , chopped coarse shopping list
- 1 cup pitted black olives , chopped coarse shopping list
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 4 ounces roasted red peppers (jarred), drained and chopped fine (1/2 cup) shopping list
- 4 ounces oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes , drained and chopped (1/2 cup) shopping list
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves shopping list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1 clove garlic , minced shopping list
- Sandwich shopping list
- 1 large (9-inch) round Italian or French bread shopping list
- 8 ounces mortadella , thinly sliced shopping list
- 8 ounces provolone cheese , thinly sliced shopping list
- 8 ounces hard salami , thinly sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Note: Be sure to use good-quality brine-cured olives in this recipe -- do not use canned olives. Brine-cured olives are either sold in plastic deli containers in the refrigerated section or in jars in the pickle aisle. If you wish, you can cut this sandwich into small wedges and serve as party appetizers.
- 1. For the olive salad: Stir all of the ingredients together, cover, and refrigerate for 8 or up to 24 hours.
- 2. To assemble the sandwich: Drain the olive salad, reserving the marinade. Cut the bread in half horizontally and remove most of the interior crumb. Brush both inside pieces of the bread with the reserved marinade and place half of the olive salad in the hollowed-out bread and top with the sliced mortadella, provolone, and salami. Top with the remaining olive salad, wrap the sandwich in plastic wrap, and press it between two plates, using a few heavy cans on top as weights. Place the weighted sandwich in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 6 hours. Before serving, unwrap the sandwich and cut it into wedges.
- Making Muffuletta:
- 1. Slice the loaf of bread in half horizontally. 2. Remove the interior crumb of both the top and bottom pieces of the bread until the bread walls measure about 1/2 inch. 3. After brushing the bread with the reserved marinade, spread half of the drained olive salad in the bottom half of the bread. 4. Arrange layers of the mortadella, then provolone, and finally salami over the olive salad. 5. Spread the remaining olive salad over the meat. Place the remaining piece of bread over the top of the olive mixture and press on the sandwich lightly. 6. Wrap the muffuletta in plastic wrap, place it between two plates weighted with several heavy cans on the top plate, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!