MULLED RED WINEFrom choclytcandy 4 years ago
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches each) shopping list
- 10 whole cloves shopping list
- 10 whole black peppercorns shopping list
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries (about 25) shopping list
- 2 bottles red wine , medium- or full-bodied shopping list
- 4 strips orange zest removed with vegetable peeler, each strip about 2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide, cleaned of any white pith shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 - 4 tablespoons brandy shopping list
How to make it
- Note: The flavor of the mulled wine deteriorates if it is simmered for longer than 1 hour. It is best served immediately after mulling but will keep fairly hot off heat, covered, for about 30 minutes. Leftover mulled wine can be reheated in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stovetop.
- 1. Toast cinnamon sticks, cloves, peppercorns, and allspice in medium heavy-bottomed nonreactive saucepan over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add wine, orange zest, and 1/2 cup sugar; cover partially and bring to simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 hour until wine is infused; do not boil.
- 2. Strain wine through fine-mesh strainer; return wine to saucepan and discard spices and orange zest. Stir 2 tablespoons brandy into wine; taste and add up to 2 tablespoons more sugar and 2 tablespoons more brandy, if desired. Ladle wine into small mugs; serve immediately.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!