PAN-SEARED INEXPENSIVE STEAK WITH MUSTARD-CREAM SAUCE FOR TWOFrom choclytcandy 3 years ago
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 boneless shell sirloin steak (top butt) or whole flap meat steak, about 1 pound and 1 1/4 inches thick shopping list
- 1 small shallot , minced (about 2 tablespoons) shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry white wine shopping list
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard shopping list
How to make it
- Make sure to prepare all of the sauce ingredients before cooking the steaks. Bear in mind that even those tasters who usually prefer rare beef preferred these steaks cooked medium-rare and medium because the texture is firmer and not quite so chewy.
- 1. Heat oil in heavy-bottomed 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Meanwhile, season both sides of steak with salt and pepper. Place steak in skillet; cook, without moving steak, until well browned, about 2 minutes. Using tongs, flip steak; reduce heat to medium. Cook until well browned on second side and internal temperature registers 125 degrees on instant-read thermometer for medium-rare (about 5 minutes) or 130 degrees for medium (about 6 minutes).
- 2. Transfer steak to large plate and tent loosely with foil; let rest until internal temperature registers 130 degrees for medium-rare or 135 degrees for medium, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 3. While steak is resting, pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from now-empty skillet. Return skillet to low heat and add shallot; cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and increase heat to medium-high; simmer rapidly, scraping up browned bits on pan bottom, until liquid is reduced to glaze, about 30 seconds; add broth and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 3 minutes. Add cream and any meat juices; cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in mustard; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4. Using sharp knife, slice steak about 1/4 inch thick against grain on bias. Arrange on platter or on individual plates, and spoon sauce over steak; serve immediately.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!