VANILLA CREAM PIEFrom choclytcandy 4 years ago
- graham cracker Coated pie shell shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar shopping list
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , chilled, cut into 1/4-inch pieces shopping list
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening , chilled shopping list
- 3–4 tablespoons ice water shopping list
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs shopping list
- vanilla Cream Filling shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar , plus 2 tablespoons shopping list
- 1/4 cup cornstarch shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt shopping list
- 5 large egg yolks , lightly beaten shopping list
- 2 cups milk , whole or 2 percent shopping list
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk shopping list
- 1/2 vanilla bean , about 3-inches long, split lengthwise shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 teaspoon brandy or more to taste shopping list
- whipped cream Topping shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- 1. For the Crust: Mix flour, salt, and sugar in food processor fitted with the steel blade. Scatter butter pieces over mixture, tossing to coat butter with a little of the flour. Cut butter into flour with five one-second pulses. Add shortening; continue cutting in until flour is pale yellow and resembles coarse cornmeal, with butter bits no larger than a small pea, about four more one-second pulses. Turn mixture into medium bowl.
- 2. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the water over mixture. Using rubber spatula, fold water into flour mixture, then repeatedly press down on dough mixture with broad side of spatula until dough sticks together, adding up to 1 tablespoon more water if dough will not come together. Shape dough into ball with hands, then flatten into 4-inch wide disk. Dust lightly with flour, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 30 minutes before rolling.
- 3. Generously sprinkle 18-inch work area with 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs. Remove dough from wrapping and place in center of work area. Scatter a few more crumbs over disk top. Roll dough from center to edges to make 9-inch disk, rotating a quarter turn after each stroke and sprinkling additional crumbs underneath and on top, as necessary, to heavily coat dough. Flip dough and continue to roll, without rotating, into 13-inch disk just under 1/8-inch thick.
- 4. Fold dough in quarters, then place dough point in center of 9-inch Pyrex pie pan. Unfold dough to cover pan completely, with excess dough draped over pan lip. Trim and flute crust, (see illustrations below).
- 5. Refrigerate dough until firm, about 30 minutes. Prick shell at 1/2-inch intervals to keep dough from ballooning during baking, (illustration 5). Press a doubled 12-inch square of aluminum foil inside pie shell. Prick foil to prevent further ballooning. Refrigerate to let dough relax, at least 30 minutes longer.
- 6. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Bake, checking occasionally for ballooning, until crust is firmly set, about 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, remove foil, and continue to bake until crust is crisp and golden brown in color, about 10 to 15 minutes longer. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- 7. For the Filling: Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in medium saucepan. Add yolks, then immediately but gradually whisk in milk and evaporated milk. Drop in vanilla bean. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently at first, then constantly as mixture starts to thicken and begins to simmer, 8 to 10 minutes. Once mixture simmers, continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute longer. Remove pan from heat; whisk in butter and brandy. Remove vanilla bean, scrape out seeds, and whisk them back into filling.
- 8. Pour filling into shallow pan (another pie pan works well). Put plastic wrap directly over filling surface to prevent skin from forming; cool until warm, about 30 minutes. Pour warm filling into pie shell and, once again, place sheet of plastic wrap directly over filling surface. Refrigerate pie until completely chilled, at least 3 hours.
- 9. Whip cream to soft peaks. Add confectioner's sugar and vanilla; continue to whip to barely stiff peaks. Spread over filling and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Note: Crusts for Cream Pies
- 1. Lift the edge of the pie dough with one hand and press at the pan bottom with the other hand; repeat around the circumference of the pan.
- 2. Use kitchen scissors to trim the dough to 1/2 inch of the lip all around.
- 3. Tuck the overhanging dough back under itself so the folded edge is flush with the pan lip; press to seal.
- 4. Flute the edges all around.
- 5. Prick the shell at 1/2-inch intervals to keep the dough from ballooning.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!