Big Daddys Apple CobblerFrom choclytcandy 7 years ago
- butter, for dish shopping list
- 6 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- Pinch salt shopping list
- Pinch ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 lemon, juiced shopping list
- ginger whipped cream, recipe follows shopping list
- Topping: shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened shopping list
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- Pinch salt shopping list
- Pinch ground ginger shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- ginger Whipped Cream: shopping list
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled shopping list
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup candy ginger, minced shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly butter a 9 by 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the apples, sugars, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and lemon. Add the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Add all the topping ingredients to a medium bowl and combine well with a wooden spoon, to form a batter. Dollop the batter in various spots on top of the apple mixture. The batter will spread as it bakes. Put the cobbler in the oven and bake until the apples are tender and the crust is colored, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve with Ginger Whipped Cream.
- Ginger Whipped Cream:
- Add the cream and sugar to a medium bowl. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the cream until stiff peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Fold in the ginger. Cover and chill up to 4 hours before serving.
- Note: excerpt from reviewer
- I will admit, it is quick and easy not to mention good but there are a couple of improvements that need to be addressed. First, this recipe calls for way too much sugar and it is not required. Reduce the white sugar by half. Add a couple of tablespoons of butter in with the apples and or 1/3 cup of water. As far as the crust, again, reduce the sugar by half. It's not needed.. I found that it is better to slightly spread the batter out a little before baking. It will still spread when baking. Wrap foil over the dish and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and finish baking another20 minutes until the crust is golden. I used two different types of apples and it was awesome. I think I may slightly cook down the apples for a couple of minutes before baking. I felt the apples were still too firm. All in all a great dish!
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!