Rocky Road CupcakesFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process) shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1/4 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- frosting AND TOPPING shopping list
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- Chopped salted peanuts, for topping shopping list
- mini chocolate chips, for topping shopping list
- mini marshmallows, for topping shopping list
How to make it
- MAKE THE CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the vegetable oil and water over low heat.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour with the sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the melted butter mixture and beat with a handheld mixer at low speed until smooth. Add the egg and beat until incorporated, then add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat until smooth, scraping the bottom and side of the bowl. Pour the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling them about three-fourths full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes, until springy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool slightly, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE FROSTING: Put the chopped chocolate in a heatproof medium bowl. In a small saucepan, heat the cream with the butter, corn syrup and salt until hot but not boiling. Immediately pour the mixture over the chocolate. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Let the frosting cool, whisking occasionally, until thick enough for dipping and glazing the cupcakes, about 30 minutes. For a frosting firm enough to spread, let stand for 1 hour.
- Mix the frosting with the peanuts, chocolate chips and marshmallows. Frost the cooled cupcakes and serve.
- MAKE AHEAD
- The unfrosted cupcakes can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month. The chocolate frosting can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Return to room temperature before using.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!