Pina Colada CupcakesFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature shopping list
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature shopping list
- frosting AND TOPPING shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons water shopping list
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature shopping list
- Pinch of cream of tartar shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- shredded coconut, for topping shopping list
- Chopped macadamia nuts, for topping shopping list
- Chopped candied pineapple, for topping shopping list
How to make it
- MAKE THE CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the sugar with the eggs and vanilla extract at medium-high speed until smooth and thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Add the butter and oil and beat until incorporated, scraping the bottom and side of the bowl. Add the dry ingredients and milk in 3 alternating batches, beating well between additions. Carefully pour the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling them about two-thirds full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the center of the oven for 20 to 23 minutes, until springy and a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool slightly in the muffin tin, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE FROSTING: In a small saucepan, combine the granulated sugar with the water and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl of a standing electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the pinches of cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form.
- With the mixer at medium speed, carefully pour the hot sugar syrup into the egg whites. Continue beating the frosting until cool and billowy, about 5 minutes.
- Mix the frosting with the coconut, macadamia nuts and candied pineapple. Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes and serve.
- MAKE AHEAD
- The unfrosted cupcakes can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!