ITALIAN VEAL STEWFrom choclytcandy 4 years ago
- Stew shopping list
- 2 pounds boneless veal shoulder roast , trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 medium onions , cut into 1/2-inch dice shopping list
- 2 medium carrots , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice shopping list
- 2 medium celery ribs , cut into 1/2-inch dice shopping list
- 6 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 tablespoons) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3/4 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes , drained shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- Gremolata shopping list
- 1 large garlic clove , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 1/2 teaspoons) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest , minced shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves , minced shopping list
How to make it
- 1. FOR THE STEW: Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 300 degrees.
- 2. Season the veal generously with salt and pepper to taste. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large ovenproof Dutch oven over high heat until smoking. Add half of the veal and cook, stirring frequently, until it has released its juices and is lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the veal to plate and set aside. Add another tablespoon oil to the pot and repeat with the remaining veal. Transfer the second batch of veal to the plate.
- 3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the now-empty pot and heat it over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook, scraping the pot bottom occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the onions are soft and lightly browned, 6 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 10 to 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook for 20 seconds. Add the wine, scraping up any bits on the pot bottom, and simmer until thickened. Increase the heat to high and add the broth, stirring constantly and scraping the pan edges. Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, and meat along with any accumulated juices on the plate, and bring to a simmer. Cover and place the pot in the oven. Cook for 1½ to 1¾ hours, until the veal is tender
- 4. FOR THE GREMOLATA: Combine the garlic, lemon zest, and parsley together in a small bowl and set aside.
- 5. Remove the pot from the oven and stir in the gremolata. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.12
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!