PORK TINGA AND SWEET POTATO POT PIEFrom choclytcandy 5 years ago
- If you can’t find chorizo sausage, substitute kielbasa or andouille, though the filling’s flavor won’t be quite as intense. If you don’t have a food mill or ricer, use a potato masher and try to attain a smooth texture (a few chunks are fine). shopping list
- PLANNING AHEAD: The topping cannot be made ahead, but the filling may be prepared up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It may also be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. The filling should be brought to a simmer before topping it; otherwise the topping will be overcooked by the time the filling is heated through. shopping list
- Topping shopping list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 4 pieces shopping list
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar shopping list
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large or 4 medium potatoes), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices shopping list
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten shopping list
- ground black pepper shopping list
- Filling shopping list
- 2 pounds boneless pork loin (preferably blade end), cut into thin strips shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper shopping list
- 6 teaspoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 pound chorizo sausage , quartered lengthwise and then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces shopping list
- 2 medium onions , minced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons water shopping list
- 8 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through a garlic press shopping list
- 3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce , minced shopping list
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes , drained shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh oregano leaves shopping list
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. FOR THE TOPPING: Combine the butter, cream, salt, sugar, and sweet potatoes in a large Dutch oven. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork, 50 to 55 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to the hopper of a food mill or ricer and process into a large bowl. Quickly stir in the egg and pepper and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- 2. FOR THE FILLING: Meanwhile, adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Season the pork liberally with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until smoking. Add half the pork in a single layer and cook, without stirring, until browned, 1½ to 2 minutes. Flip the pork strips and continue to cook until brown on the second side, 1½ to 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a 9 by 13-inch baking dish (or a shallow casserole dish of similar size). Add 1 teaspoon oil to the Dutch oven and repeat with the remaining pork.
- 3. Return the Dutch oven to medium-high heat and add the remaining 3 teaspoons oil. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the onions, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the water, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chipotles and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, and oregano and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer until the liquid is reduced by half and the flavors have blended, about 15 minutes. Pour the mixture over the pork in the baking dish and stir to combine.
- 4. Place large dollops of the mashed sweet potatoes evenly over the top of the filling and spread into an even, smooth layer using a flexible rubber spatula, pushing it to the very edges of the baking dish. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds (if using) over the top and bake until the topping is firm and the filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!