COCONUT RICE PUDDING ARROZ CON LECHE DE COCOFrom choclytcandy 4 years ago
- This version is popular in Puerto Rico. To toast the coconut, spread it out on a baking sheet and toast it in a 325-degree oven, stirring often, until light golden, 10 to 15 minutes. We prefer pudding made from medium-grain rice, but long-grain rice works too. Using a heavy-bottomed saucepan here is key to prevent the bottom from burning. shopping list
- INGREDIENTS shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 1 cup medium-grain rice shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar (4 2/3 ounces) shopping list
- 1/2 cup raisins shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut , toasted (see note) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Bring the water to a boil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir in the rice and salt, cover, and simmer over low heat, stirring once or twice, until the water is almost fully absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the coconut milk, half-and-half, and sugar. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, uncovered and stirring frequently, until the mixture starts to thicken, about 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring every couple of minutes to prevent sticking and scorching, until a spoon is just able to stand up in the pudding, about 15 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat and stir in the raisins, vanilla, and cinnamon. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving. (To store, press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and refrigerate for up to 2 days. If serving at room temperature or chilled, stir in up to 1 cup warm milk, 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to loosen before serving.)
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!