SAVORY NOODLE KUGEL WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND CAULIFLOWERFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- We recommend serving this kugel hot, when the custard, cauliflower, and noodles are soft and steamy (unlike sweet kugel, which can be served either hot or cold). This makes a good side dish for pot roast or brisket. shopping list
- PLANNING AHEAD: Follow the recipe through step 4. Toss the cooled noodles, onions, and cauliflower together in a large bowl. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. shopping list
- TO BAKE: Allow the noodle mixture to sit at room temperature for about 1 hour. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Add the eggs to the noddle mixture and continue to assemble and bake the kugel as directed in step 5. shopping list
- INGREDIENTS shopping list
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 large onions , minced shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cored and cut into 3/4-inch florets (about 6 cups) (see illustrations below) shopping list
- 1 pound extra-wide egg noodles shopping list
- 6 large eggs , lightly beaten shopping list
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish (or shallow casserole dish of similar size) with 1 tablespoon of the butter; set aside.
- 2. Melt 3 more tablespoons butter with the oil over high heat in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Add the onions and ½ teaspoon salt; cook until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook the onions, stirring frequently, until they are golden brown and sweet, about 25 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot (with a perforated pasta insert, if available) over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the cauliflower; cook until the cauliflower is mostly tender but still slightly crunchy at the core, about 5 minutes. Transfer the cauliflower to a paper towel–lined baking sheet using a slotted spoon (or by lifting out the pasta insert, if using).
- 4. Return the water to a boil and add the noodles; cook until almost tender but still firm to the bite, about 6 minutes. Drain the noodles, transfer them to a large bowl, and toss with 2 more tablespoons butter. Allow the noodles to cool to room temperature.
- 5. Add the onions, cauliflower, and eggs to the cooled noodles; toss to combine. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Pour the chicken broth evenly over the noodles and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake until the kugel is warm, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the noodles on the surface are golden and the center is hot, about 20 minutes longer. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!