KOREAN RICE BOWL WITH BEEF VEGETABLES AND FRIED EGG BIBIMBAPFrom choclytcandy 3 years ago
- You can substitute sushi rice for the short-grain rice; if using medium- or long-grain rice, increase the amount of water to 3 cups and simmer until the grains are tender, 18 to 20 minutes, before letting the rice sit off the heat in step 2. Regular rice vinegar can be substituted for the seasoned rice vinegar. shopping list
- INGREDIENTS shopping list
- pickled vegetables shopping list
- 2 cups bean sprouts shopping list
- 1 medium carrot , peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater shopping list
- 1 medium cucumber , peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced 1/4 inch thick shopping list
- 1 cup seasoned rice vinegar shopping list
- rice shopping list
- 2 cups short-grain white rice (see note) shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- beef, spinach, and eggs shopping list
- 5 ounces blade steak , trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (see illustrations below) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce shopping list
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms , wiped clean, stemmed, and sliced thin shopping list
- 3 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 tablespoon) shopping list
- 1 (10-ounce) package baby spinach shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper shopping list
- 4 large eggs , cracked into 2 small bowls (2 eggs per bowl) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil shopping list
How to make it
- 1. FOR THE PICKLED VEGETABLES: Toss the sprouts, carrot, cucumber, and vinegar together in a medium bowl to combine. Press lightly on the vegetables to submerge in the vinegar as much as possible, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours. Drain the vegetable from the vinegar and set aside.
- 2. FOR THE RICE: Meanwhile, bring the rice and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, then cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 7 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat, and let sit, covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 3. FOR THE BEEF, SPINCAH, AND EGGS: Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position, place 4 ovensafe serving bowls on the rack, and heat the oven to 200 degrees. Toss the beef and soy sauce together in a medium bowl.
- 4. Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the beef and shiitakes and cook until the beef is cooked through and the mushrooms are soft, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a platter and keep warm in the oven next to the bowls.
- 5. Add 1 more tablespoon vegetable oil and the garlic to the skillet and return to medium-high heat until the garlic is sizzling and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the spinach and cook, tossing constantly, until wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste and spoon onto the platter in a separate pile next to the beef in the oven.
- 6. Portion the cooked rice into the warm serving bowls, top with the beef, mushrooms, and spinach, and return to the oven to keep warm while cooking the eggs.
- 7. Wipe the skillet clean with a wad of paper towels, add the remaining tablespoon oil to the skillet, and return to medium-high heat until shimmering. Following the illustration below, quickly add the eggs to the skillet. Season the eggs with salt and pepper, cover, and cook until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 8. Uncover the eggs and remove from the heat. Remove the bowls of rice from the oven and slide one egg on top of each bowl. Drizzle the sesame oil over the eggs, add the pickled vegetables, and serve immediately.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!